This KnowledgeBase archive includes content and external links that were accurate and relevant as of September 30, 2019.
The Early Language and Literacy KnowledgeBase is an online resource supporting language and literacy development in early learners from birth through age eight. Its focus is to support parents and caregivers in helping early learners with their language and literacy development, and teachers in enhancing their instruction for early learners from pre-Kindergarten through Grade 3.
Task 2: A Literacy-Rich Learning Environment
Guideline: As noted at the Teach More/Love More website, the characteristics of a print-rich literacy environment include the following:
- "Children are surrounded by oral language, books and print.
- Adults share their ideas and feelings with children and encourage them to express themselves.
- Children see adults reading for pleasure and a function of their daily routine and activities.
- Adults value children's emergent reading and writing experiences. They accept children's efforts without correcting mistakes or providing direct instruction.
- Children learn about the world through talking and reading, refining these skills as they develop.
- Children's knowledge of language is built on their own exploratory skills to interesting topics that is supported by skilled teachers and a well thought out curriculum."
This task provides resources on providing a print-rich environment in the home or caregiver's environment.